ASIO recommends Islamist group Hizb ut-Tahrir be banned as hate organisation

Australia’s spy agency ASIO has recommended Islamist organisation Hizb ut-Tahrir be designated a “prohibited hate group”, Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke has revealed.

Mr Burke said in an ABC interview on Sunday morning that ASIO had delivered the advice, which is the first stage in banning an organisation under new federal “hate groups” laws rushed through parliament last month in response to the Bondi Islamic terrorist attack.

He also noted that the National Socialist Network had disbanded before the legislation was passed, after highlighting both groups as specific targets of the new laws when they were introduced.

“So there were two groups that had largely been spoken about before [the new laws were passed]. There were the neo-Nazis and Hizb ut-Tahrir. The neo-Nazis disbanded before the legislation went through,” he told Insiders host David Speers.

“Hizb ut-Tahrir, which is an organization I’ve been fighting since my first term in parliament, back in the days when the Liberal government was rolling out the red carpet for them at the embassy and giving them speaking tour visas in in Australia.

“ASIO have now provided the advice that that organisation meets the threshold that AIO requires for them to be able to be banned. So the next stage is the Department now prepares brief for a minister. That brief is the second threshold that has to be determined and then after that, presuming that that’s determined, then the leader of the Opposition is advised and the Attorney-General has to sign off on it.

“But the first stage on the process of of a prohibited group listing happening for Hizb ut-Tahrir is now complete, the ASIO advice is in. And this is the first time we’ve been able to ban potentially a group which falls short of a terrorist listing.

“It says you don’t have to be specifically calling for violence, but you do have to be acting in a way that increases the risk of communal violence or politically motivated violence.”

Coalition Home Affairs spokesman Jonno Duniam said he was “pleased” with the ASIO advice, calling Hizb ut-Tahrir a “hideous and insidious organisation” and saying “this is what we wanted to see with the laws”.

Hizb ut-Tahrir, which is designated as a terrorist organisation in the UK, Germany and India, has taken down its website since the legislation was passed but said when the new laws were announced that it had no intention of disbanding, and denied promoting violence.

“Hizb ut-Tahrir is based on an Islamic political worldview. Unless the government is proposing to ban Islamic ideas, it cannot ban the ideas of Hizb ut-Tahrir,” Zaid Hamdan El Madi, a lawyer acting on behalf of the organisation said at the time.

“Hizb ut-Tahrir has never advocated hate or violence based on racial identity, its views are political in nature.”

Legal experts have warned the “hate groups” laws are open to abuse and could be used to ban political opposition, including One Nation, resulting in party leader Pauline Hanson vowing to repeal them.

Former NSN and White Australia leader Thomas Sewell said after the group’s disbandment that he would challenge the laws in the High Court as an individual, and has so far raised more than $150,000 from supporters for the legal fight.

Header image: Left, a speaker at a Hizb ut-Tahrir conference in Sydney last year (YouTube). Mr Burke on Insiders (ABC).

The post ASIO recommends Islamist group Hizb ut-Tahrir be banned as hate organisation first appeared on The Noticer.

The Noticer​Read More

Author: VolkAI
This is the imported news bot.