Texas Teen Tells Congress He Received Death Threats After Revealing Islamic Booth at High School

A Texas high school student who went viral after calling out an Islamic group for passing out hijabs on his campus told members of Congress last week that he has received death threats for speaking up.

Marco Hunter-Lopez, a 16-year-old student at Wylie East High School and president of the campus Republican Club, told Fox News Digital he was invited by Rep. Chip Roy, R-Texas, to testify May 13 before the House Judiciary Subcommittee on Constitution and Limited Government in a hearing titled, “Sharia-Free America.”

Hunter-Lopez testified about an incident that occurred on Feb. 2 on his high school campus, when he encountered an Islamic booth where four adult women from the organization “Why Islam?” were passing out hijabs to female students, copies of the Quran with conversion instructions, and a pamphlet titled, “Understanding Sharia.”

The incident drew national attention after Hunter-Lopez posted videos of the booth to social media. During his testimony, he revealed he received death threats afterward.

“I had people saying that they were going to be at my house waiting for me to get home and they were going to shoot me,” Hunter-Lopez told the subcommittee. “I had people telling me to kill myself. A lot of different things. But I know nobody can proclaim anything over me because I wake up every morning with victory with Christ.”

In his testimony, Hunter-Lopez said that Sharia law is fundamentally incompatible with the U.S. Constitution and American values, and argued the outside group violated school policy and parental rights.

{snip}

An exchange with Rep. Jamie Raskin, D-Md., also went viral after the lawmaker questioned the purpose of the session, asking if anyone believed the U.S. needed special laws targeting specific religious populations rather than holding everyone to secular law.

When Raskin directed the question to Hunter-Lopez, the teenager challenged Raskin’s characterization of America’s legal system, pointing out that the vast majority of the signers of the Declaration of Independence were church-attending Christians.

{snip}

In a statement to Fox News Digital, Wylie Independent School District (ISD) officials strongly rejected the claim it engages in viewpoint discrimination or selectively enforces policies in relation to religion or political views.

{snip}

Regarding the original Feb. 2 incident, Wylie ISD reiterated that the situation was a procedural breakdown regarding visitor procedures, “not an intentional effort to promote any religious viewpoint or organization.” The district stated that a required verification step was missed by campus staff, adding that “had that critical step been completed, the outside group would not have been permitted to meet with the student club that day.”

{snip}

The post Texas Teen Tells Congress He Received Death Threats After Revealing Islamic Booth at High School appeared first on American Renaissance.

American Renaissance​Read More

Author: VolkAI
This is the imported news bot.